Daniel Craig joins Rian Johnson's new film
Daniel Craig has joined the cast of Rian Johnson's new film - sparking speculation 'Bond 25' may be delayed.
The 50-year-old actor has signed up to appear in 'Knives Out', a 'Poirot'-style murder mystery which has been penned by Johnson and his long-time producing partner Ram Bergman, and the 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' director has hinted Craig became available after Danny Boyle quit the forthcoming James Bond film.
Johnson told Deadline: "I have been a huge fan and always wanted to work with him and as I worked on the script, trying to get it right, Ram and I were wringing our hands over who could be the detective.
"Then, serendipitously, we heard Daniel might have a small window, and it worked out. He's an actor of extraordinary range, and we are looking forward to the fun of finding that modern detective, and collaborating with Daniel on creating a new 'Poirot'."
Craig is expected to start shooting 'Knives Out' in November, which could mean 'Bond 25' may be delayed, as has been widely speculated, and miss its scheduled November 8, 2019 release date.
Johnson will make 'Knives Out' before starting work on a new 'Star Wars' trilogy.
He and Bergman have completed the script on the murder mystery film, and the motion picture's North American rights will be shopped to potential buyers at this week's Toronto International Film Festival.
Johnson is said to be a huge fan of Dame Agatha Christie, the late, great detective novelist, and as a result he has wanted to make a locked mansion door murder mystery movie.
Craig was recently confirmed to reprise his role as suave spy Bond for the 25th film in the franchise, but last month bosses revealed director Boyle had exited the film.
A tweet on the official 007 Twitter account read: "Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25."
Edgar Wright and Jean-Marc Vallee are said to be among the front-runners to replace Boyle.